Providence, Boston, New York, Remote
Splitwise is looking to grow our customer support team in our Providence, RI office (preferred) or remotely anywhere in the USA. The primary responsibility of this job is to make sure we continue to deliver outstanding customer support even during periods of peak activity on Splitwise.
Splitwise takes customer support very seriously. Despite being a free product with millions of customers, we target 1-business day response times and help our customers in-depth with their most challenging questions, such as checking a customer’s math for them if they are confused by our software’s interface. We do this to develop a good reputation and continue to learn from customers, so we can build the best possible product. All members of our team do some customer support as part of their training, as well as our business operations team. Senior engineers and product leaders are involved with customer support escalations regularly.
As for the work itself, Splitwise support is typically email or ticket-based and can be answered asynchronously (we do very little phone and chat support presently). Splitwise is highly focused on providing holistically excellent support for our customers, and encourages people doing customer support to think through the problems they see, take time on challenging cases, and do our best to diagnose issues and underlying problems.
Customer support at Splitwise requires empathy, patience, and excellent writing and analytical skills. Energy and enthusiasm for the internet, software products and the ability to learn on the job will also be very helpful. This job currently reports to the Business Operations Manager, Sarah and you’ll work closely alongside the business operations team.
We're currently a small team and you can make a huge difference.
WHAT YOU’LL ACTUALLY DO AT SPLITWISE:
- Respond to customer emails, tickets, and feature requests
- Help categorize common support issues and surface trends to the rest of the team
- Collaborate and coordinate with the product and operations teams to respond to user feedback and improve our popular app
THINGS ABOUT YOU:
- You are curious, energetic, empathetic, thoughtful, and analytical. You find work engaging and learn quickly from experience.
- You have a strong sense of responsibility and ownership over doing your best work. You take initiative on your own and have good organizational skills.
- You have very strong English communication skills. You write excellent business emails that are clear, helpful, and concise. You are a good listener and reader, and think critically about what might be behind someone’s questions.
- You have product intuitions for what may confuse users, and how software can be improved.
- Valued but not required: past customer service experience, a passion for technology, experience with quality assurance or testing, fluency in a language other than English, a related academic degree, knowledge of Splitwise’s product.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to work with software operations tools and technical colleagues to fix software problems and support building new features
- How to identify customer problems through analysis, intuition, testing, and qualitative research
- How to work with customers to deliver a delightful customer interaction
- How a small, transparent, customer-focused startup operates
Please include an attached resume and concise (1-4 sentences) answers to the following questions in your application email:
Splitwise is based in Providence, and is hiring locally at our Providence HQ. We also support remote candidates that are based in the USA and eligible to work here. Are you interested in working out of Providence, or remotely?
What interests you about working for Splitwise specifically?
This position will require you to do a fair amount of written customer support, and some portions of the interview process will ask you to write sample replies to typical customer support tickets. You may want to review how Splitwise’s consumer product works before interviewing (it’s free). Is this something you are comfortable with?
Briefly describe a time you had a difficult customer support interaction. What would you have done differently if you were the customer support representative?
Splitwise is an equal opportunity employer that cares deeply about diversity in tech, and we strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. We want to build a team at Splitwise that reflects the diversity of customers that we serve, and we hope that team includes you! Join us in our mission to reduce the stress that money places on relationships, and help millions of friends and families around the world.
- Competitive salary
- Equity/stock options
- Top-tier health care (covered 100% for you, 50% for dependents)
- 4-6 weeks of vacation per year
- 12+ weeks of parental leave (either parent, or adoption)
- 401k with match
- Flexible hours (generally 10am-5pm ET)
- Free parking or transit benefits
- Sponsored tickets to industry conferences
- Choice of work laptop and desk
- Paid team meals when in office
- Relocation benefits
- Dental and vision plans available
Interested? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.